- Registrar General's Index
- Indexes to Births, Deaths and Marriages to 1990 on microfiche
- Microfiche of cemetery records and headstone transcriptions nationwide
- Family announcements indexed from the Colonist to 1920; Nelson Evening Mail 1976-
- Index of Burials for St Barnabas Church, Stoke, Waimea West 1885-1908, Spring Grove, Brightwater
- Death Notices, Obituaries and Inquests Nelson Evening Mail 1920-1924 and 1983-1997
- Colonist and Nelson Mail Family Announcements
- Nelson Photo News Marriages Indexes 1961 - 1974
- Church of Christ Marriages, Nelson City 1920-1961, Church of Christ, Spring Grove 1892-1972
- St Mary's Roman Catholic Baptisms 1845-1900 and Marriages 1844-1913
- Nelson registers relating to the Cathedral (and in the early days, surrounding districts) dating from 1842
- Registers for all Anglican churches in the Diocese which includes Marlborough, Golden Bay, Nelson, Kaikoura and most of the West Coast
- All Saints’ parish from 1868, Blenheim from 1870.
Golden Bay Museum
- Registrar General's indexes to births, deaths and marriages 1840 to 1940 on microfiche.
- Photocopies of early baptism records, especially Wesleyan Church
Kaikoura Museum & Archives
- Kaikoura Births 1862-1877
- Kaikoura Catholic Parish burials 1865-2000
- Some Kaikoura marriage certificates; obituaries and death notices
Murchison District Historical and Museum Society
- Murchison Births 1902 – 1935, Deaths 1906 – 1969
- Newspaper obituaries
Nelson Family History Centre
- International Genealogical Index 1992 edition: all countries on microfiche and computer:
- New Zealand
Boer War 1900-1903; World War I Deaths 1914-1918; World War II Deaths 1939-1945
Registrar General’s index to births and deaths, complete to 1990 (fiche) and marriages 1836-1956 (CD)
Registrar General's BDM for individual states (date ranges vary) on fiche.
Australian Vital Records Index 1788-1905
Queensland Toowoomba Chronicle BDM etc
- England and Wales
Government Record Office (GRO) BDM 1837 – 1987
Consular, military and marine BDM Indexes
Boyd's Marriage Index
Pallot's BM Indexes 1780-1837
Vital Records Index 1538-1888
Parish Registers: an extensive collection
UK High Commissioner Marriage Index 1950-65
Old Parochial Registers pre-1855
Calendars of Confirmation (of death) 1876-1936
- North America
North American Vital Records
US Military Index 1950-1975
US Social Security Death Index 1937-1997
Nelson Provincial Museum - library & archives
- Birth, death and marriage notices from local newspapers indexed alphabetically 1842-1920, 1978-2003 (ongoing).
- Index to Nelson Photo News marriages 1961-1974.
- Roman Catholic local marriages and baptisms indexed from 1844-1913.
- Presbyterian archives for the Nelson Marlborough Presbytery include marriage and baptism records from a number of parishes from 1853.
- Lutheran baptisms 1846-1906, marriages 1849-1920, deaths 1848-1909.
- Church of Christ Spring Grove marriages 1891-1950.
- Church of Christ, Nelson marriages, 1898 - 1918.
- Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast region cemetery burial records and headstone transcriptions.
Tasman District Library
- Waimea South history and genealogy collection contains records of births, deaths and marriages mainly relating to Waimea District [typewritten lists] but some other areas included where notices were put in the Nelson newspapers
- Burial records for Nelson region
National & metropolitan organisations and online resources