Nelson Public Libraries
- Private Bag 41
- Ph +64 3 546 8100
- Fax +64 3 546 0402
Reference staff at the Information desk during all opening hours, Interlibrary loans, online databases, Internet access - Wi-Fi.
On most items, 20c per page
Most published material on Nelson
Electoral Rolls, Census, And Directories
- Electoral rolls for Nelson, 1963 -, West Coast 1972 -, Southern Māori/ Te Tai Tonga 1975 -, Tasman District 1975 -, Marlborough District 1975 -; Most telephone directories for Nelson 1941 to present. Rest of New Zealand current editions only.
- Postal and business directories e.g., Stone's 1917, 1942, 1951, 1952, 1955.
- Universal Business Directories for all New Zealand 2000 - 2004; Nelson 1951, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1978, 1979, 1980-2, 1984, 1987, 1989-90.
- Nelson Provincial Council, Nelson Gazette index 1865 - 1875 (microfilm)
- Rating rolls and valuation assessments for Nelson 1996 - present.
- Māori Collection housed separately.
- Nelson Māori Land Court minute books.
- Fletcher's index to Māori names (Microfilm edition).
- Turton's land deeds of the North Island (Microfiche edition).
- A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island compiled by Alexander MacKay (Microfiche edition).
- Published histories of various iwi.
- Nelson Examiner, 1842-1874. (microfilm); Colonist, 1857-1920. (microfilm - incomplete; some hardcopy in stack); Nelson Evening Mail 1866 - present (microfilm).
- In 1995 the Nelson Evening Mail was renamed The Nelson Mail.
- Nelson Evening Mail March 1866 to December 1918 also available at Papers Past, National Library of New Zealand